Friday, June 02, 2006

Further emails.. wobblyworm & MMS

Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:43:14
From: WOBBLYWORM
Subject: yet another attempt

Hi everybody,
I am going to give yet another attempt at solidarity and awareness. And there is one reason for this: I strongly believe in it. As I previously mentioned in the seed discussion for this solidarity
movement, the lack of both results in the hunger that MMS has so vividly described. Peace is a particularly poignant need because it entails not only lack of violence, but also opportunity for freedom, not only an easy comfortable life, but also peace of mind that our children and their children's children will have a better life than ours.

The "awareness campaign" as MMS rightly calls it, IS NOT a medicine, but the willpower which enables us to decide that we need to do something to prevent a possible disease. Yes, the possibilistic nature of my proposition renders these seemingly abstract thoughts difficult comprehend, but whoever said that anything can be achieved without effort? If you ask me, if it gives you a headache, take an aspirin and think about it. Yes.. I think its that important. Of
course its easier to let the doctor prescribe medicine and just swallow everything given to us. And maybe thats ok, but my contention is that it does not hurt to know a little about the effects of the medicine, and how our children can avoid the same disease.

Who are we and what will make our lives better is up to each of us to decide, not for anyone else to dictate to us: by threats, by enticements, by hidden negotiations, or by weakening our solidarity.

This "awareness & solidarity campaign" is targetted towards each and every Nepali. The example of the ongoing struggle has been used to strengthen my point on the need for solidarity and awareness. Such struggles will come and go, but the need for solidarity and awareness
will always remain.

I earnestly as you all, as friends, countrymen, and simply Nepali intellectuals, to think what can be achieved by possibly destroying and rebuilding a house just because our neighbour does not like the roof.

Thats all folks.
WOBBLYWORM

MMS wrote:
> Hi WOBBLYWORM,
>
> This email is an attempt to explain some fallacies in your endeavors of
> spreading light on the political changes in Nepal and in the end to give you
> some clues that may help overcome those weaknesses.
>
> Being aware sometimes is like aggreeing to have a headache. People in Nepal
> are hungry: some in the literal sense, some for opportunities, some for
> money. Yet all Nepalese here have been suffering one common hunger: the
> hunger for peace. What you are suggesting through this email broadcast is
> that this peace might be an illusion or worse that it is a trap, may be a
> conspiracy or in the worst scenario a prelude to anarchy like in Congo or
> Iraq. There might be some truth to one or more of those possibilities, but
> your awareness campaign is like a medicine for a disease before any symptoms
> have shown up. Just the sight of such a medicine gives the sick, now cured,
> even if temporarily, person a headache. Now who wants a headache?
> But if a headache can save one from a lifethreatening cancer or viral
> disease, why not. But we dont' know whether this peace is true or not, do we?
>
> It is possible that you know some things that I don't. The only suggestion
> I can give is that you should present it in a way that is acceptacle to the
> people. Unless people accept they will not listen. Unless people like your
> work they will not participate.
>
> Paticipation is what all champions of awareness like you want. But it is
> the hardest thing to get. Try getting a class of students participate
> during a lecture. It is tough. They will revolt, they will shout in the
> streets, break infrastructure, but they find it hard to participate and
> break their ignorance.
>
> If you state the first part of your mission to seek participation, then the
> content, presentation and effect of your writings will dramatically differ
> leading you towards the attainment of your goal of spreading awareness.
>
> MMS
>
>
> >From: WOBBLYWORM
> >Subject: Re: Tennis of Thoughts
> >Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 02:12:56
> >
> >Dear MMS,
> >
> >Yes I know your intent and that is why I agreed with most of what you
> >said. But you did say that my writing reflects that I am out of
> >reality, and therefore, my comment. But it does not mean I am
> >offended, not at all. I hope none of us get offended by anything that
> >goes on around because we are discussing issues for Nepal, not
> >dissecting each other as we might have done at times. So thats that.
> >
> >And yes, its all a game after all between politicians, king and
> >mauists. But even games have realities and strategies and
> >consequences. Nobody likes to be on the side that loses. So we do
> >what we do, what we have to do. But in doing so, as long as we are
> >playing the ball and hitting and getting hit, its fine. The problem
> >arises when we become the ball. And that is the situation we have to
> >avoid, because without awareness, thats what we the people are,
> >tennis balls. Why should the masses become tennis balls when in fact
> >it is the masses that must be the players?
> >
> >I refuse to believe that we are not judges. We are judges, however
> >big or small, we are judges by nature. And perhaps that is why we are
> >smarter than animals who have to resort to muscle and violence. I
> >like to believe that however insignificant I may be, my judgement
> >counts. And thus, if we are right to judge, we must do so based on
> >evidences. I am no law scholar, but I know of no other way to judge
> >than by the most obvious evidences. Or perhaps I misunderstood?
> >
> >C'mon guys, write up. Like MMS said, its just another game. But
> >its also another opportunity to clarify our thoughts and ideals. So,
> >do speak up.
> >
> >Oh.. and before I stop, I was reading up on the democratic republic
> >of Congo. Well they have democracy and they are republic. And
> >according to Time Magazine, they have the deadlist war in the world
> >today.. war between its own army and rebel forces. There is reason to
> >fear the worst in Nepal too and everything might not be fine and
> >dandy as we prefer to believe. From your previous email, it shows
> >that you have interpreted my emails with precision, but I cannot
> >understand why it is difficult to convince you guys that awareness is
> >more important, solidarity between masses is more important, than the
> >ongoing struggle between the three conflicting apexes (king,
> >politicians, mauists).
> >
> >Thats all folks.
> >WOBBLYWORM.
> >
> >MMS wrote:
> >
> > > Hi WOBBLYWORM,
> > >
> > > My criticism was not directed to you. It was directed to your writing. I
> > > did not say that "you are out of touch of reality" instead I said that "your
> > > writing reflects that you are out of touch of reality." It is easier to
> > > judge someone based on the most obvious evidences, but it is a poor way.
> > > Besides we are no judges, but people playing the "tennis of thoughts". Just
> > > because the ball ends up hitting us, we shouldn't say that the other player
> > > was aiming at us.
> > >
> > > If you are playing then I am also playing. Smiles. After all it is all but a game!!
> > >
> > > MMS.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > >From: WOBBLYWORM
> > > >Subject: Re: Wow
> > > >Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:26:52
> > > >
> > > >Dear MMS,
> > > >
> > > >Well, I appreciate your response despite your busy schedules. (I have
> > > >not sent this email to those that have not responded to three threads
> > > >of discussions because I feel we should not impose our discussions of
> > > >people who do not want to share.)
> > > >
> > > >Yes, our perspectives definitely differ. I understand my perpective
> > > >very well and can read the "other perspective" interestingly well.
> > > >The only difference in our perspective is our frame of reference, of
> > > >which I have already written previously. The differences do not
> > > >bother me.
> > > >
> > > >There is not much in your email that elicits response from me because
> > > >I agree with what you say, other than being out of touch of reality.
> > > >I dare say that I can tell you more about the whole of Nepal
> > > >situation (as opposed to Kathmandu) than most people in Kathmandu
> > > can do. Nevertheless, in spite of the big talk, the reality is small..
> > > of basic needs of Nepalis.. probably nothing more. It is for that
> > > reason that I say awareness is important... to let the people know that
> > > they have the right to choose.
> > > >
> > > >With best wishes,
> > > >WOBBLYWORM.
> > > >
> > > >--- MMS wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Hi WOBBLYWORM and SRR,
> > > > >
> > > > > I finally had the time to sit down and read this email. I hated what
> > > > > WOBBLYWORM had written: it made my body hair raise. But reading
> > > > > SRR's reply just was so right: I felt so right. Here is finally an
> > > > > accurate perspective of the post-jana-andolan.
> > > > >
> > > > > WOBBLYWORM's writing reflects how out of touch of the reality of
> > > > > life in Nepal he is. It is sad, but more than that it is infuriating!
> > > > >
> > > > > SRR's writing reflects an acceptance of the forces of change.
> > > > > It is soothing, it is cooling.
> > > > >
> > > > > MMS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home